Sergio Aguero has announced his retirement from football.

The sad news comes just six months after Aguero joined Barcelona, moving to Camp Nou after a stellar decade spent at reigning Premier League champions Manchester City.

At the Etihad, the Argentina star became a bona-fide Premier League fable, also becoming the lodge's tape goal-scorer with 260 goals in 390 games, and winning v league titles.

The 33-year-one-time moved to Spain in the summertime to team up with close pal Lionel Messi for the first time at club level - only to run across Messi depart for PSG amid Barca's financial problems.

And now Aguero's own Barcelona career is at a premature end, following a heart scare during the kickoff-half of Barcelona'due south La Liga disharmonism with Alavés in October.

Aguero savage to the turf, holding his breast while in discomfort as guild medics rushed on. Later a lengthy spell of treatment on the pitch, Aguero was able to stand up and walk out of activity, the striker was and then swiftly sent for cardiological tests.

Sergio Aguero has confirmed his retirement

Take YOUR SAY! Is Aguero Manchester City'south greatest always player? Comment below

Having seen the results of the tests, Barcelona stated how the Argentine would be sidelined for 3 months every bit he undertook a "diagnostic and therapeutic process".

Sadly, that process has been cut short as Aguero confirms his stunning, trophy-laden xviii-year career will come up to premature and unexpected terminate at the age of 33.

"I have decided to stop playing professional football, it is a very hard moment, announced Aguero. "The decision I take made, I have taken it for my wellness, because of the problem I had a month and a half agone.

"I was in the hands of the medical staff and they told me the best thing would be to stop playing. So 10 days ago I fabricated that decision, I want to tell anybody I did everything possible to have some hope merely there wasn't much.

"I am very proud of the career I accept had, I have ever dreamt of playing football

"I never idea I would get to Europe, so I want to show my gratitude to everyone. From Atletico Madrid, who took a bet on me when I was 18 years sometime, to Manchester City, yous all know how I feel about Man Metropolis, I'm very grateful they looked after me very well. I did everything the all-time I could at that place.

"And so everyone here at Barca. Everyone'due south been incredible. Information technology's without incertitude i of the best teams in the world. I'1000 very grateful.

"And and so plainly the Argentinian national team. I'm very grateful for everyone here. People who worked with me. Also to my team-mates and most recently those at Barca. I think I ever did my all-time to help them win.

"I want to thank my teammates who helped me to grow. I don't know what awaits me in the adjacent life but I know there are loads of people who dear me. And I'k grateful to the press that are here. Most of them accept treated me well! But no worries, it'southward their work. I volition remember all the amazing things, and so thank yous all."

Speaking to reporters, he would add: "I feel OK correct now. Obviously the commencement 2 weeks were really difficult.

"When they did the start physical test on me in the dispensary, the medical staff called me to tell me in that location was a big possibility that I couldn't keep playing. I tried to process it all. It wasn't piece of cake. I still process everything that the doctors told me straight up, 'that'south enough.' It took a few more days to process it all.

"Obviously information technology's ameliorate happening now when I'k 33 rather than when I was younger.

"Just like I said, I'm happy and proud of the career I've had. I'yard fortunate it has happened to me now than rather than before. I'k happy for the career I've had. I recall I can be happy. As I said, I remember I did everything I could for myself and my clubs."

Tributes accept already poured in for a Premier League dandy, with Pep Guardiola in omnipresence at Military camp Nou.

Joan Laporta, the Barcelona president sitting alongside Aguero, said: "I'chiliad here adjacent to you. It'southward as if of all the teams you've played for are right hither next to me. Atletico Madrid, Independiente, City, Argentinian FA. Spanish football FA besides.

"Sergio I think every bit we just saw on the video, nosotros are left with the joy and excitement of what you could have been here at Barca. You accept all our back up and anything you need from your condition you lot can have it.

"For all the clubs, everywhere you've played, you've achieved so much. The friendships you've made.

"We would have liked yous to come here earlier and at present a new journeying awaits and I hope that it would exist just as successful and nosotros wish you lot all the best, Sergio."

Sergio Aguero reacts after announcing his retirement as FC Barcelona president Joan Laporta looks on (

Image:

REUTERS)

Manchester City tweeted: "King Kun. Everyone at Manchester Metropolis would like to take this opportunity to thank Sergio Aguero for his incredible contribution to our success over the last decade and wish him well in his retirement."

Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarek added: "The facts speak for themselves - Sergio is quite simply the nigh ruthless striker in the history of the Premier League.

"It is extraordinary that his statistics, more reflective of two careers, are in fact those of a thespian whose time in the game was cutting short.

"His impact lives not only in the club that we are today, but in the club that we will be for many years to come up. He has earned the adoration of the City family, and the respect of the football game family the globe over."

Aguero'due south former Human City dominate Roberto Mancini sent his well-wishes at an award ceremony in Italy recently.

"I'm very sorry, I wish him the best of things," Mancini said at the Gran Gala Gazzetta Awards. "I'one thousand so sorry to come across him leaving and so shortly.

"I wanted him at City, he's the foreigner with the highest goal boilerplate in England. I'm sorry he has to go out football so presently."

In five games at Barcelona, Aguero notched merely one goal for the Blaugrana - but in trademark fashion, information technology did come in the biggest game of all as he notched in El Clasico - albeit a alleviation every bit Real Madrid claimed a 2-1 win.

Aguero played 101 times for his country during a 15-year international career, scoring 41 goals.

Read More

Read More than